The Harvest of the Month Featured Produce is
Reasons to eat persimmons
1/2 of a medium persimmon provides
- an excellent source of Vitamin A.
- a good source of fiber and Vitamin C.
- a source of many antioxidants including beta carotene, lutein and lycopene.
- The D. kaki species originated in China and made its way to Japan more than a thousand years ago.
- In 2004, California produced 99% of the D. kaki crop in the United States.
- The persimmon is Japan's national fruit.
- Today, the major persimmon varieties grown in California are Hachiya and Fuyu.
- Offer whole or quartered Fuyu persimmons to your child as an after-school snack.
- Toss sliced Fuyu persimmons into salads or add to stir-fries.
- Add Hachiya persimmons to recipes like muffins, pies, and puddings.
- Replace the tomatoes in your favorite salsa recipe with chopped Fuyu persimmons for a sweet salsa snack.