The Harvest of the Month Featured Produce is
Reasons to eat cooked greens
1/2 cup cooked greens provides
- an excellent source of Vitamins A, C and K
- a good source of calcium, a mineral that helps the body grow strong bones and teeth
- Cooked greens include collards, Swiss chard, spinach, bok choy, arugula, kale and mustard greens.
- Cook collards, Swiss chard, bok choy and spinach for a mild or sweeter flavor.
- Cook arugula, kale and mustard greens for a peppery flavor.
- Hint: Two cups of raw greens makes about a half cup cooked.
- Choose leafy greens with fresh, full leaves.
- Store greens in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for two to five days.
- Wash greens thoroughly before use.
- Cut stems from leafy greens immediately before cooking.