The Harvest of the Month Featured Produce is
Reasons to eat corn
1/2 cup of white or yellow corn provides:
- a good source of folate and thiamin.
- a source of Vitamin C and Vitamin B6.
- a source of fiber, manganese, phosphorus, and magnesium.
- The Native Americans gave corn to Christopher Columbus, who brought it back to Spain. Once in Europe, corn spread quickly throughout the world!
- The average ear of corn has 800 kernels in 16 rows.
- Corn is consistently ranked among the top ten most commonly consumed vegetables by children in California.
- Add corn to your favorite salad recipes using fresh, frozen, or canned corn.
- Add frozen or canned corn to your favorite casserole or soup.
- Sprinkle corn kernels on pizza for a new take on toppings.
- Stuff corn and black beans into whole wheat pita pockets for a healthy sandwich.