The Harvest of the Month Featured Produce is
Reasons to Eat Pumpkin
One ½ cup of pumpkin provides:
- An excellent source of vitamin A.
- A good source of vitamin C.
- Pumpkins are 90% water.
- Pumpkins can range in size from less than a pound (miniatures) to over 1,000 pounds (giant pumpkins).
- Pumpkins are members of the vine family called cucurbits, related to squash and melons.
- In California, about 90% of pumpkins are grown specifically for Halloween.
- Pick fresh pumpkins that are firm and feel heavy for their size.
- Keep fresh pumpkins in a cool, dark place for up to two months.
- Look for canned pumpkin with no added sugars or sodium. You can use canned pumpkin in any recipe that uses cooked pumpkin.
- For best prices, buy pumpkins at a pick-your-own pumpkin patch or a local farmers’ market.