Zesty Corn Salsa
featuring summer produce at it's best
- 1/2 small chile pepper, seeded
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears), or 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
1. Preheat a grill to medium high. Brush the chile pepper with 1 teaspoon olive oil and grill, skin-side down, until charred but still firm, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly; peel and finely chop.
2. If using fresh corn, bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Add the corn and cook until tender, 2 to 3 minutes; drain.
3. Mix the corn (if using frozen, add it here), chile, jalapeno, cilantro and red onion in a bowl. Stir in the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, the lime juice, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt.