Curried Mustard Greens & Garbanzo Beans with Sweet Potatoes
An easy to prepare, meat-free dish!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced thin
- 3 medium cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 TBS + 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 bunch mustard greens, stems removed, chopped
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups or 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- salt and white pepper to taste
1. Bring water to a boil in a steamer with a tight fitting lid. Peel and slice sweet potatoes into ½" slices so they will steam quickly (7 minutes).
2. While steaming potatoes, slice onion and garlic. Heat 1 TBS broth in 12 inch skillet. Sauté onion in broth over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent. Add 1/4 cup broth, garlic, curry powder, turmeric, and mustard greens. Stir occasionally until mustard greens are wilted, about 5 minutes. Add garbanzo beans, diced tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Mash sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper. If you need to thin potatoes more, add a little broth.
4. Serve mustard greens alongside mashed sweet potatoes and enjoy!